Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Day 7: Servanthood


"The key to success is to see ourselves as servants of God and to each other."
-Henri Nouwen, "Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life.

"I am your servant, O God, grant me discernment that I may understand your ways."
-Psalm 119:125


Servanthood is not a welcome trait in my heart.
Most of what I do is not seen and could be put into servant status.
Every day I do the dishes, wash clothes, clean the house, cook the meals.
Some days I do it joyfully, remembering I am equipping and serving my family in relationship and preparing them to face the world.
Some days I grumble and wish for recognition.
On those days I need to remember this psalm and Jesus' definition of success.
To empty myself of all but love as He did in His earthly life,
And to understand that when my tasks of service go unnoticed to the masses.
He sees me and is pleased when I have a servant's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment