Friday, October 23, 2015

Day 23: Weakness

"But instead I choose to place these trembling feet on a foundation and an understanding of the character of a God who makes no mistakes."
-Casey Trask, "When You Stare"

"I noticed you walk a little bit differently," she said.  "Can you tell me about that?"

I was preparing to pay for a car repair when faced with that question from the shop owner's wife.  It was rather unexpected.  I answered honestly, and we had a great conversation about acknowledging God in our weaknesses,  experiencing pregnancy with a disability and aging.  She was genuinely interested and as I left I said, "I always enjoy talking with you."

What I really wanted to say was, "Thank you for seeing my weakness with dignity and affirming my humanness."

Many people are able to hide their all of their flaws on the inside.  My sister and I don't have that option.  We've had a lot of discussions about our physical weaknesses.  We've laughed about them, we've been frustrated with them, we've cried about them.

In the midst of it all, we've been able to see God's grace in them.

The above quote is a line from a blog post my sister wrote after fielding many questions about the way she walks from the preschoolers she teaches.  It's beautiful, and I encourage you to pop over to her blog and read it there. 

My interaction this morning reminded me of that post, and I hope it speaks to you of the imperfect dignity God gives all of us.  Acknowledge weakness in your own life with that gentleness as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment