Thursday, October 22, 2015

Day 22: Live

"Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. "
-John 5:25

 While reading John 5 this morning, I was struck by how many times Jesus mentioned the Resurrection.  He was constantly telling the Jewish leaders about the power of God to give life, juxtaposing it to the power of death producing legalism.  He points to himself as the conduit to God's love and life giving power.

Sometimes I forget about that power.  I do as the Pharisees did, "You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life.  These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life" (John 5:39-40.)

I find it easier to accumulate knowledge of the Scripture rather than have a relationship with the One who inspired them.  Then He can ask nothing of me, there is no messy work that comes from addressing my heart issues, and I have less of a risk of being hurt by stepping out in communication with Him or the Church.

But is that really living?  No.  Not taking the risk means I lose out on so much more in life.  Not only do I lose the chance to be blessed by a relationship with Jesus in the good times, but I have nothing to cling to in the bad times.

I want to hear the voice of Jesus and live.  So I simply ask every morning when I open the Bible for Him to speak to me.  Throughout this month, He has been so faithful to do so.

My heart is changing and blazing with life because of that.  He has given me so much more joy, even in adverse circumstances.  I encourage you in your walk to approach the Scriptures in this life giving way.  Just ask Him to speak, and He will.  The Counselor of the Holy Spirit that lives within you will begin to do His work.

And that dead place in your heart?  It will come to life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment