Friday, October 2, 2015

Day 2: God is Greater Than Our Hearts



"Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.  This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence.  If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
- 1 John 3:16-20


I don't think it is by chance that I am reading through 1 John while also studying Henri Nouwen's book Discernment.  Through both sets of readings, I am constantly reminded of God's love for me in Christ.

The passage above has stuck with me for a few days, especially the phrase "God is greater than our hearts."  Most days I chose to trust my emotions, my circumstances, etc. to tell me who I am.  When I do that, I always fall short.  My heart condemns me for my efforts or lack thereof.

This passage puts our worth in a totally different light.  God's love for us is greater than any critical voice that is present in our hearts, any wound that is in our hearts, any anger and bitterness.  God knows everything, so in our circumstances where we feel condemned, hurt or angry we can turn to Him and trust that He is greater than what we feel or our eyes can see.

And did you notice?  God is not the one condemning us.  He knows everything about us-we can't hide our hearts from him.  Yet He loves us anyway and is willing to come to that inner hurt and speak the truth of our worth in Him to our fickle, critical hearts.

Thinking about that last night made my heart overflow with happiness.  The knowledge of being unconditionally loved and wanted will do that to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment