Monday, October 12, 2015

Day 12: Casting My Cares

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
-1 Peter 5:7

I forgot how hard it was to take two small children along with me while grocery shopping.

They weren't bad, per say. but they were whiny, hungry little wanderers and by the end of the trip to the second store I slammed the car door after strapping them safely into their car seats and hightailed it to the nearby Dunkin Doughnuts for a "yay, you got through this" pumpkin spice latte and an old-fashioned doughnut for the kids to split, because I heard "I'm hungry!" about 5,0000 times in a span of a half hour.

Driving home basking in the fall sunshine and bright colors, I thought about how I needed to blog today.  I thought about how writing every day has forced me to see what is going on inside my heart in the midst of all my anxious thoughts and movements.  I thought about how I wanted to be more intentional about listening to my heart and the hearts of those I care about instead of toiling to finish all of my daily tasks.

I prayed the above verse I had read just this morning and was struck by the language of casting my anxieties on God.  Casting is not tossing.  It's not daintily handing over our worries to God in a neat little bundle.  It's throwing, and throwing forcibly.

In that moment I was reassured God could handle my crazy morning shopping with the kiddos.  He can handle my prayers that all too frequently come to Him in the form of "I can't do this,"  "How long?" or "What if I'm messing up this whole parenting thing?"  He can handle me hurling that messy ball of anxiety towards him every morning when my alarm rings or every night when I craw into bed and think about everything I did wrong.

Why?

Because He cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment