Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I'll Love You Forever

"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."
-Love You Forever, Robert Munsch

It never fails.

I always cry when I read this book.

The first time I encountered it was at the local parent resource center.  A volunteer read it out loud to the kids during story hour.

All of us moms were at least teary-eyed by the end.

I found it at the library last week and could hardly read it to my daughter there without getting a lump in my throat.  The story depicts a mother singing the above song to her son throughout all the stages of his life and ends (spoiler alert) with him singing it to his newborn daughter after visiting his ailing mother.

Some days (like today) I need to be reminded that life is full of seasons.  That the season of tantrums, screaming, no napping, poop smearing, snot rocketing, constant eating and refusing to pick up toys will end someday.  And that every season has it's challenges.

But throughout it all we have one steadfast hope: Love.

As I nursed my son to sleep I hummed the song to him.  He smiled as he drank.

I found my daughter asleep on a pile of books in her room afterwards.  I picked her up, put her on her bed and sang the song to her while stroking her hair.

She smiled too.

I hope that they know how much Jesus and I love them.  Forever.

1 comment:

  1. That book will always and forever be one of my favorites. It's perfect and it's powerful.

    ReplyDelete