Thursday, August 29, 2013

What I Read This Summer

I know, I know.  My posts have been sorely lacking this summer.  My days have been consumed with chasing a toddler and a now mobile infant.  And reading.  Lots of reading!

This summer the kids and I followed the Hubs to Houghton, NY where he ran around like a crazy person shooting and editing videos for his organizations' camp DVDs.  I got to hang out with my kids and another staff members' kid...and read.  I took 7 books with me and finished all of them in those two weeks alone (thank God for Nooks!) while the kids slept and the other camp staff members burned the midnight oil.  It was a tough job, but someone had to do it!

  Since Labor Day weekend approaches (the unofficial end of summer made all the more real for me since my daughter starts preschool in less than two weeks *sob*) I thought I'd share a quick list of the books that have kept me on the couch reading instead of at the computer blogging!

The Hannah Swensen Mysteries.  My grandmother had told me about these years ago.  She said they were good, quick-read mystery novels with recipes included in the book.  I was intrigued, so I found one at the library.  I read it, enjoyed it, and quickly forgot about the series until I was looking to start something for the summer that wasn't too heady, but still enjoyable.  These fit the bill.  The main character is an owner of a bake shop in small town Minnesota (hence the recipes) who has a knack for discovering dead bodies and solving mysteries through her curiosity.  I am sad to say that I didn't try one single recipe from the books!  I am considering trying this recipe since they were said to travel well and send some to a certain brother-in-law who is currently serving his country overseas (but I have to do a test batch first...right?)

The Lucy Stone Mysteries.  I found this author through an anthology of mysteries that included a Hannah Swensen story.  The main character is a mom of four who writes for the local newspaper in small town Maine.  She also solves many mysteries through her curiosity.  I've always wanted to go to Maine, so this was a fun read for me.  I also sympathized a lot with the character.  She has a lot on her plate with a family, job and a dog!

And now, for nonfiction:

This Momentary Marriage.  I finally snagged a copy of this and read it during my vacation weeks.  I wrote a post using an excerpt of the book to honor Hubs on our five-year anniversary this summer.  It was such a convicting yet encouraging read on both the grace and the work that is required of a marriage that is meant to reflect to the world the love between Christ and the church.

The Julie/Julia Project.  I had seen the movie a few years ago with friends.  The book is much, much better and laugh out loud funny (be warned...there is a lot of profanity.  And bashing of Republicans.  But I thought the end result was worth slogging through all that.)

And right now?  I'm reading Saturday Night Widows.  I was a little wary of picking this up because at first it looked really depressing.  It's a book by a woman who lost her husband and was "kicked out" of a traditional grief group.  She started her own group of six widows who met once a month for a year.  This book chronicles their stories and some compelling research she did on grief and coping with loss.  I've really enjoyed it so far and it has made me admire my mother even more for what she went through when she was widowed (Hi Mom!  You did a great job raising me and my sister!)

Welp, there it is.  Now you know what I read last summer (yes, I made that joke.  Just be glad I didn't title the blog post in that manner.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment