Monday, July 22, 2013

Trusting God on One of *Those* Days

"Whatever our particular calamity or adversity may be, we may be sure that our Father has a loving purpose in it."
-Jerry Bridges, Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts

Stick a fork in me.

I'm done.

It's just been one of *those* days.  I woke up with a low grade current of frustration and despair clouding my vision that even an early morning dose of Spurgeon couldn't shake.  All I could see was my disorganized house with all of the half-finished projects that we seem to never have time to complete and all I heard was my eight-month-old fussing either because he is teething and/or he whacked his head on some random piece of furniture in an attempt to stand up.  I even attempted to teach my three-year-old how to master pedaling her bike...bad idea when you're in a frustrated state of mind.

So I consider it divine providence that my daughter pulled the above quoted book out of my bookshelf while I was trying to get my son to take his morning nap.  After I settled both kids down for the afternoon siesta (complete with multiple apologies for several outbursts of anger this morning) I took it upon myself to read the first chapter.

Let me be clear: I'm not experiencing some earth shaking tragedy.  I'm just tired and a bit sad.  The little things are starting to wear down on me and I am constantly tempted to despair every little "setback" I am seeing in my life.  This usually results in my attempting to control any aspect of my day that I can and ending up in more frustration.  Which is why I really needed to be reminded of God's care for me today.

I just needed to know that He cares.  I have to remember that I don't always need to understand or know why I experience pain in my life.  I have to remember that I am not "stuck" in any of the circumstances I find so unpleasant (even a messy house).  His hand is always guiding.  In my good moments, I take those opportunities to remind myself that I am not in control and especially that earthly things are temporary.

So...today I'm clinging to the truth that Jerry so eloquently described (and really looking forward to the reading the rest of this book), making a second cup of coffee and also battling through the clouds of despair with these verses:

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  -2 Corinthians 4:17-18

Praise be to our loving Father, who allows trouble and sorrow into our lives for His glory.  I hope we can all remember that on any of *those* days in our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment