Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wifey Wednesday: Dust in the Wind

"I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after the wind."
-Ecclesiastes 1:14

"I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it.  God has done it, so that people fear before him."
-Ecclesiastes 3:14

Yesterday as I was driving out the parking lot of the grocery store, I saw a vanity license plate with two names on it (I think it was Dan & Joan, but it was almost 10 pm and I just wanted to get home and collapse into bed, but I digress.)  I'm assuming that it was a married person's car.

I had an existential moment.  I'm not even sure I can articulate the lightning bolt that went through my soul right then and there.

  I started thinking about how that car won't last forever.  Those people won't last forever.  That marriage won't last forever. 

Immediately I thought of the above Scriptures.  I've been working through Ecclesiastes these past couple weeks.  The author chases every pleasure known to man and comes to the conclusion that God is the ultimate goal and meaning in life.

Not the state of our marriage.  Not the car we drive.  Not the money we earn, the house we own, our kids...you name it.

I guess at that moment I just needed that reminder.  I am mortal.  I am weak.  My life (including my marriage) is finite.  Like the song says. "All we are is dust in the wind."

I found it oddly comforting.  I am one who tends to strive in life.  Not that it's bad to have goals, but I tend to find my worth in whether I "succeed" or "fail" as a Christian, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc.  As I was driving home, I prayed that instead of continuing to strive and worry, I would have the grace to trust God.  Instead of beating my head against the wall with my own plans and expectations, I prayed I would be able to listen for His voice and understand how He wanted me to live my life, especially as a wife and mother. 

 I need to remind myself of this daily and I am hoping that this can be an encouragement to you too.  Our lives matter.  Our marriages matter.  But ultimately these things will pass away and only God will remain in His glory.  Are you cultivating a relationship with Him?  What is born out of that relationship will last forever.  Join me in making sure that He is the priority in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment