Sunday, February 24, 2013

Supremely Trustworthy Forever

"...when gratitude for God's past grace is strong, the message is sent that God is supremely trustworthy in the future because of what He has done in the past."
-John Piper, Future Grace (emphasis mine)

Check out my sister's reflections on Future Grace here.
 
I needed to remind myself of the above quote today.  Heck, I've needed it most of this week.  My heart is showing much more ugliness than I care to admit most days.  It's been a busy season in our lives with adjusting to being a family of four.  Hubs is also in a busy season at work.  We are tired, often grumpy and feeling the crunch of the occasional late nights at work and at home.  To borrow the analogy of a friend, our hearts are being squeezed, and I particularly am not fond of what I see coming out of mine.

  Over the past few weeks I've been waking up in the morning feeling a growing sense of insecurity.  It seems to touch every part of my life: I doubt my worth as a mother, wife, homemaker, friend, daughter, etc.  I shrink at the uncertainties of the future and how my mistakes in all of these areas could impact it.  Life seems to be flying at high speed and I feel like I'm just holding on for the ride, wondering if anyone is really in control.

I spent some time one afternoon while the kids napped.  I had not done that in a very, very long time and it was needed.  I poured out all of my worries I felt on the pages and was reminded of 1 Peter 5:7:

"Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you."

As I read the above quote this week from Future Grace,  I am reminded that I do have Someone who is in control of the future and of the circumstances of my life.  I have seen so many ways that the Lord has been faithful to me in the past, often in very hard circumstances.  I am thankful and have so much to look forward to in the future, especially in life in the Lord.  And He really does care.  I apologized to Him that afternoon for dumping all on Him, but I seriously think He didn't mind.  In fact, He reminded me that He is really the only one who can handle them.

God has been faithful in the past.  He is trustworthy.  He will be faithful in the future.

In times like these where I worry about the uncertainties of life, I also turn to one of my favorite songs as a reminder that God is in control and His kingdom is coming.  I hope it encourages you as much as it does me.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment