Friday, September 28, 2012

Skinny Rules

"...in order to lose weight and keep it off, you have to have a routine to live by."
-Bob Harper, The Skinny Rules

As I've watched my belly grow and the scale climb higher and higher during this pregnancy, I've been doing some research on losing weight afterwards.  I honestly did not pick the best time to work on that since the baby will be born right before Christmas!  I am giving myself a few months before I start any sort of program and also seeing how nursing goes when I do start out on a plan to lose whatever extra pounds I have hanging around.  I was lucky with my firstborn to only be 4 lbs.  from my previous weight (and I was probably underweight to begin with at that point) when I became pregnant with number two, but we'll see how it goes after this birth and all the Christmas celebrations that follow!


My plan is to start the Couch to 5k program on my elliptical machine once I am cleared for exercise and have caught up on sleep enough to know that I won't kill myself.  However, I know exercise wouldn't be enough and that I will definitely have to change my eating habits...peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at 12 am will not be doable anymore!  I wasn't really looking for a specific program, but when I saw The Skinny Rules on the new release shelf at the library I picked it up just to see what it was about.  I brought it home and read it all in one day!  It's not the most amazing book ever in terms of writing style (what diet books are?) but Harper is motivational and critical enough at the right points that it really got me thinking about what I eat, how I eat and when I eat it. Each chapter is very brief and outlines 20 rules he follows in order to stay thin and be healthy. There are also a lot of good recipes and a 4 week meal plan included to help you on your way to losing weight or just eating healthier.

Harper's first rule is to always finish a glass of water before starting every  meal or snack.  That one was really hard for us.  I had never seen Hubs drink an entire glass of water at a meal (he is following the plan more closely than I am since I need extra calories.  So far, he's lost 6 lbs!)  But once we started following these rules (with a lot of whining on both of our parts!) we realized how much better we felt during the day.  I no longer have Braxton-Hicks contractions due to the fact that I am drinking way more water than I was previously to reading The Skinny Rules. Hubs is feeling better at work during the day and not hitting that 2:00 slump because he is drinking more water and has much  more lean protein in his diet.  We are eating way less carbs (no carbs after noon is one of the rules...and that's a tough one too!) and incorporating more vegetables, fruits and proteins into our meals. 

It was about halfway through the second week that I realized we weren't really dieting-we were starting to eat healthier.  We were all making a conscious effort to understand how we were fueling our bodies all because of a simple routine.  Even though I am not completely following the Rules right now since I am still pregnant, I've really appreciated how they have helped me change up our eating habits to be a lot healthier.  I'd encourage anyone who wants to lose weight or even just wants to eat healthier to read this book. I should probably get myself a copy so I can get into shape after this baby is born...I need and want to have the energy to chase my little ones around now AND be around to harass them for grand babies in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment