Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wifey Wednesday: His Wish List

1.  Be less impatient.
2.  Be more considerate of my concerns/wants, as well as my upbringing/family-style.
3.  Be more confident in herself.
-Hubs, from "Couple Communication Exercise II".

These past few months have consisted of cleaning, purging and redecorating in our house.  As I write this, Hubs is downstairs painting our dining room and the man cave is completely cleaned out (aside from a piano we recently acquired...which reeks of old cigars.  I've just finished wiping down the outside and inside with vinegar.  Hopefully that gets the yuck out, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them!)

As we were cleaning, Hubs found our premarital counseling material.  We had a good laugh when we read his example of "assertive communication": "I feel sad....when you're annoying."  His sense of humor has definitely not changed!  I flipped over the page and found the wish list I've quoted above.

Reading each of Hub's wishes for me stung a little.

It will be 4 years of marriage for us in August, and I have not come a long way in most of his wishes for me.  In fact, I would say I've probably backpedaled on some.  I am still very impatient.  I often think of myself before I think of his wants or needs.  I've also continued to struggle with confidence issues.

But I'm not content to wallow in the guilt of falling short of this list.  I want to make my marriage better...so I've kept Hub's wish list in order to remind myself of his needs and desires in our life together.  I'm praying that by God's grace I grow a little in these areas each day.

How about you, wives?  In addition (or instead of) your own New Year's resolutions, why not ask your guy what he wishes for you?  It is a fun, enlightening and intimate exercise for your marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment