Monday, January 16, 2012

Imitation

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children."
-Ephesians 5:1

For the New Year, I have prayerfully picked out a few Scriptures that I am using in my prayer time for members of my family, friends, the Church and the world.  Ephesians 5:1 is the passage that I am praying for Hubs and my daughter.  Last week I took out my Bible to pray for them and read through the passage a couple of times.

In that reading, a light bulb in my brain went off (or, I should say, I got a Holy Spirit two-by-four to my head).

Paul is commanding us to imitate God like a child would imitate his or her parent.  How do we begin to imitate God?  Well, our children spend a lot of time with us.  Soon they  begin to pick up some cute (or annoying) habits.  My daughter currently likes to imitate yawns.  It's pretty darn cute.

God is calling us to imitate Him like that; to pick up His way of living and loving, no matter how big or how small.  How can we do that?  By spending time with Him in prayer and in the Word.

I always used to pass over the "as dearly loved children" phrase in that verse.  "Be imitators of God"...yeah, yeah....I can do that all by myself.

Not.

The only way I can imitate God is to be with Him; to invite Him into my heart and my day.  For me, that means taking time to pray for my family and friends using Bible verses, talking with Him while driving to the grocery store, etc.  Spending time in His Word.  Stopping for a few minutes to listen while the Holy Spirit is moving.  By grace, he can change me from being a self-reliant, willful child to a peaceful, loving person who can hear His voice and live in His presence.  

After all, this imitation is great practice for what is before me....living continually in His glory as His beloved child.  I am so thankful that God  revealed these truths to me.  I encourage you to pray for Him to draw near to you in your day too...He desires to know You.  Spend some time with Him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment