Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Making Me a Saint...One Plate at a Time

"Lord of all pots and pans and things...
make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates!"
-Brother Lawrence, The Practice of the Presence of God


I keep at least one book in the bathroom.

I know that was probably too much information for some people, but as a mother of an active toddler, I'll take any chance to pick up a book that doesn't involve animal sounds whenever I can!

I found The Practice of the Presence of God through a youth pastor when I was a teenager.  I haven't read it since then, but someone gave me a copy of it last year for Christmas.  It's a great, practical little book to help you focus on God through everyday tasks.  

Right now I am preparing for guests coming these next couple weekends.  I am doing a lot of detailed cleaning a la The FlyLady in 15 minute spurts and I find my mind wandering (often humming the tune to this video, which Hubs and I have watched waay too many times).  I picked up Practicing the Presence to replace my bathroom reading material and flipped to the preface to find the above prayer.

I had to laugh because I feel like every mother I know spends an inordinate amount of time at the sink "washing up the plates!"

I've taken that prayer to heart during these days.  I've become more intentional about praying for others, singing my favorite Christmas hymns or just telling Jesus how grateful I am for His grace in my life while I go about my tasks.  And you know what?  My days are so much sweeter.  I don't feel guilty for the things I don't get done.  I am more patient with my daughter and my dog.  I am thankful and content with what I have been given.  I've even received some direction about a ministry opportunity that came to mind.  Prayer changes us.  We "become a saint" by knowing Jesus...and we can come to know Him in whatever we are doing.

Why don't you give it a try?  Next time you're at the sink or....um....in the bathroom, take that little moment to talk to God.  You never know where that small conversation may take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment