Friday, November 18, 2011

Library picks

Ah, the holidays.  A fun time of gathering with friends and family....that also comes with a lot of busyness!  I haven't been carving out as much time to read as I would like, but that just comes with this season.  We did go to the Library today, though!  Here's what we picked up:

My picks:

- At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson.  I actually checked this book out about a month ago and got as far as The Garden chapter before I had to take it back.  I've never labeled myself as a history buff, but I really like Bryson's writing style-it's not boring.  This book makes me really, really thankful for things I have in my home.  Like floors.  And beds not stuffed with straw or goose feathers.  *shudder*


-Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick.  I thought this looked interesting.  I'm hoping it's not filled with computer jargon that I don't understand.  I really, really want it to read like a good crime television show and be interesting enough for me to dazzle Hubs with information while we are in our holiday travels.  The forward is by Steve Wozniak of Apple...isn't that enough?  We'll see.

Daughter's pick:

-Thanksgiving Day at Our House: Thanksgiving Poems by Nancy White Carlstrom.  This has been a cute book so far, starting out with a poem about a Thanksgiving pageant.  I'm really looking forward to reading more of these to my girl...it's so fun to watch her discover all the cool things about the holidays.  I can't wait to watch her unwrap Christmas presents!

Hopefully I'll get time to read these while we are on a mini Thanksgiving vacation (Hubs took two comp days...woo hoo!)  Happy holidays to you all...and happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I thought the book "Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker" by Kevin Mitnick looked interesting. I saw him interviewed on Twit.tv and it was both entertaining and interesting. If the book is anything like the interview it should be a good read.

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get that feeling of holidays = no time to read. Or at least, not much. We squeeze it in where we can, right? ;o) Good job, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment love, guys! Chip, I never finished the book. It was good starting out, but not good enough for me to finish...it seemed to long and drawn out. I think the interview would've suited my tastes...I'll have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete