Monday, October 24, 2011

A New Name

"In shedding names like "Nakusa" or "Nakushi," which mean "unwanted" in Hindi, some girls chose to name themselves after Bollywood stars such as "Aishwarya" or Hindu goddesses like "Savitri." Some just wanted traditional names with happier meanings, such as "Vaishali," or "prosperous, beautiful and good."

-Hundreds of Indian Girls named "Unwanted" Choose New Names, Fox News Article


I found a link to this article on a friend's Facebook page.  It's been haunting me ever since, especially after reading about the effects of gender discrimination in India.  I can't imagine calling my baby girl "unwanted".  Both my husband and I were ecstatic at her birth...he even wanted a girl.  I am so happy that this district of India is letting these girls choose names for themselves.


In this story, I see a much bigger one.


How many of us have labeled ourselves (or have been labeled) "unwanted" or "failure" or "not enough", especially us women?  I think stories like this show Satan's focused, terrible desire to undermine women.  We are meant to be beautiful life-givers.  In the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge, the authors suggest that God created Eve last to showcase her as the crowning jewel of creation.


I don't know about you, but I don't often feel like a jewel.  Too often, I listen to those previous names that Satan plants in my head through my own thoughts or perceptions.  But that is not how Christ thinks of me.


In our battle against Satan and his lies, we need to make these Indian girls our inspiration.  Instead of calling ourselves "unwanted", how about "chosen" (John 15:16), or "complete" (Col. 2:9-10), or "free" (Romans 8:31-39)?  Why don't we proclaim these names that Christ has bestowed on us as His beloved children?


You, my friends, are more than your labels or names.  Trust Christ.  Turn to Him for your identity.  Put on that new name.

No comments:

Post a Comment