Thursday, October 6, 2011

Goodbye, Steve Jobs

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked."
-Steve Jobs, 2005 Stanford University Commencement Address

"Holy crap....Holy crap!"

My husband made these exclamations last night and naturally I wanted to know what was going on.  After asking him twice, I caught a look at the computer screen from my post at the kitchen sink to see "Steve Jobs Dead" emblazoned in red across the front page of The Drudge Report.

I was shocked.  Hubs was shocked...and immediately tried to find more information.  Even this morning he is still a little emotional about it.  Before he left for work, he said to me, "I'm still feeling sad about Steve.  I guess I'm just thinking about how short life is, even if you are rich and powerful."

I had a hard time understanding why it affected him so deeply until I started thinking about it a bit more.  Without Steve, I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't have a job.  As a media producer he uses Apple products all the time.  As a tech buff, he has his ipod touch in front of his face constantly, listening to his favorite podcasts and finding deals on Fat WalletHubs feels a connection to Steve as one who has supplied many of his tools of his trade and recreation.

I respect that.  I thank Steve Jobs for moving forward in ingeniously creative ways in the face of death instead of shrinking back in fear.  I thank him for inadvertently feeding my family.  And I thank him, even in death, of reminding my husband of what is truly important.  We have nothing to lose...we all die.  So move forward and live your life to the fullest, using your God-given talents for His glory.  

My prayers go out to Jobs' family, friends and coworkers.

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm super late in reading and commenting on this but I followed the link from your library post :o) And I really like your thoughts here. Jesse asked for Steve's biography for Christmas. I think I might read it when he's done. I, too, have an iPod Touch in front of my face most of the day. My life wouldn't be the same without it!

    ReplyDelete