Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Having my cake and eating it too

‎"While careers are fulfilling, they do not replace the fulfillment most women get from being wives and mothers. Moreover, these types of careers will inevitably conflict with the demands of home and children. Careers should be icing on the cake -- not the cake itself." --The Flipside of Feminism by Suzanne Venker and Phyllis Schlafly

I found this gem on the Boundless Facebook page while checking out my news feed during my daughter's nap (or more of an attempt to nap...she had a little one in the car while we were out and is alternating between whining and chattering to herself in her crib!)  It describes exactly how I feel at this point in my life.

Ever since I was a teenager, I had the desire to be a wife and a stay-at-home mom and am finally living that dream.  However, that has not always prevented me from worrying about putting a career on hold.  Most of the time this worrying comes in the form of "what if?" questions.  A few examples...what if something happens to my husband or his job and I need to work again?  What if we don't make enough money for me to stay home if we have more children?  What if I don't have enough experience to ever find a job if I stay home with my kid(s) until they reach school age?  What if I go crazy being home all day, every day?

However, as the days go by (and they go by fast!) I am realizing more and more how being a wife and a mother is the "cake" in my life.  I get to see every new, little thing my daughter is learning.  I have the time to organize my home and duties therein so I can create an environment of peace and order for my family.  I know that I am doing something worthwhile because I am raising up a person who will be here long after my degree or any sort of work I have done in the public sector.  Even on my worst, more boring or more anxiety filled days I remind myself of this.  I also know that this season of motherhood won't last forever and someday I may find myself building a wonderful career.  Until then, I am throwing all of my heart and mind into this whole motherhood business, and trusting God to provide and put to rest my "what-if's".  It's much more fun to eat a lot of cake than icing anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment