Thursday, March 24, 2011

FLYing

  "Housework done imperfectly still blesses your family."
-The Flylady

I just cleaned out the space under my dryer and inside the hose.  It's the first time I've ever attempted to do so, thanks to the FlyLady.  If you are wondering what I am talking about, you should totally check out this site.  It has helped me so much in my daily work around the house and I have to thank FlyLady for that.  Let me tell you my story.

I married a pack rat.  We moved into a very small apartment and lived there for a year and a half.  And we had stuff.  Lots of stuff.  I would often get frustrated with the amount of things we had in our apartment and attempt to organize them to no avail.

Then we moved into our first house.  Packing and moving was hard since we had so much stuff and we had found out that week that I was pregnant.  Morning sickness hit the weekend we had friends come over to help us move.  Due to my hubby's crazy work schedule and my morning sickness/exhaustion, it took months for us to finally unpack most (not all) of the boxes.  Both of us were stubborn enough not to ask for help, and we still had one room full of unpacked stuff.

Fast forward to the birth of my baby girl.  I did a lot of nesting and organizing before she came, but a lot of that goes to pot once you have a baby.  And my neat freaky, perfectionist, hormone-crazed self was NOT handling it well.  I was very unkind to my husband during that phase, which I regret a lot.  After a particularly trying week, I logged on to the Internet to find a home organization website, cleaning schedule, ANYTHING to help me make sense of the craziness I felt.  And that's how I found FlyLady.  I first started out with her baby steps, thinking that much of them were stupid and I would not last with this program.  It's been 6 months and I have not looked back. 

I've been able to develop little routines around the house that help keep the main areas clean.  I've been able to let go of the posessions I don't need in order to bless others, either by recycling or giving items away.  FLYing (or as FlyLady calls it:  Finally Loving Yourself) has made all the difference in my home and I actually look forward to the little routines that help me maintain order.  I know too, that if I don't get around to some things or if things aren't done "perfectly" like the little voices in my head say they have to be, the house won't cave in.  What I do know is that I am blessing my family with my imperfect attempts to keep order in my home.  And my family is so much happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment