Saturday, February 19, 2011

Science and Morality

"As for religion, and the preposterous idea that we need God to be good, nobody wields a sharper bayonet than Brett Harris."
-Richard Dawkins, reviewing Sam Harris' latest work, The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values

I take my daughter to the local library on Friday mornings for the kids' reading program.  I was early, so I decided to check out the new book section, took a gander at The Moral Landscape and checked it out for the next two weeks.  I read the reviews on the back and my inner "geek radar" started going off.  I love to read about morality and philosophy, but this book will be a stretch for me in the science department.

I've grown to appreciate science more after marrying my husband, who is a self-confessed weather and all things science junkie.  We listen to Radio Lab together while traveling to visit our parents on weekends, and there are many instances where I am bothered by the philosophical leaps that the scientists and producers make while studying science and particular moral issues (especially in this show).  I think that's why I checked out this book...I haven't been stretched beyond my own belief system in a while, and it will be way more interesting to discuss this at the dinner table rather than the various household chores I managed to neglect for the day.  I also want to understand why society has elevated science to a god-like level.  Hopefully I understand the book and can stay awake long enough to read it at the end of the day!  I hope to be able to write some posts about it, so stayed tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment