Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nothing is Sacred?

 "...our age is sort of special.  It's hard for people to find things that matter in their lives and that makes our age different from so many other ages in the past."
-Sean Dorrance Kelly


I watched the Colbert Report for 2/2/2011 tonight on Hulu and found this interview to be very interesting.  Stephen Colbert was talking with Sean Dorrance Kelly, the head of the philosophy department at Harvard University.  He co-wrote a book with Hubert Dreyfus called All Things Shining: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age.  The interview focuses on how Americans don't agree on what is sacred in life anymore.  He and Stephen discuss Jesus as a "different" kind of god who "transformed the world" and also agree that sports brings a unifying sacredness into our lives.  I would really recommend watching it.  It made me think and ask myself-do people really think like this?  Is this really the state of our culture?  The idea that nothing is sacred is so foreign to me.  The author and Stephen don't really discuss how the western classics bring meaning to people's lives, but the interview was interesting nonetheless.  If you watch it, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.  I'm also thinking about reading the book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment